Packing List for South Africa
South Africa can be warm to hot during the months of March, April, September and October with temperatures ranging between 65f - 85f. The months of May through August are winter and the night temp's can drop to below zero, warming up to the mid 60's or 70's by midday.
The following list is only a general guideline of what to bring on Safari. There is a daily laundry service except for the days of arrival/departure and when camps are changed from south to north. Pack light ensuring you have the basic comfortable clothing/equipment and keep in mind you'll always need luggage space for African souvenirs you'll buy along the way.
- 1 Pair of good walking boots (Always worn-in)
- 1 Pair of comfortable camp shoes
- 4 Pairs of good socks
- 4 Sets of underwear
- 3 Pairs of long hunting pants (Dark Khaki or Olive Green)
- 2 Pairs of short hunting pants (Early hunts –March – April, September - October)
- 4 Hunting shirts (Dark Khaki or Olive Green)
- 1 Hunting Jacket - Realtree type camo (Dark Khaki or Olive Green)
- 1 Warm sweater or jumper
- Casual wear for the evenings
- 1 Pair of gloves
- 1 Raincoat/waterproof jacket
- Cap or Hat
- Shooting sticks if you prefer your own
- USB Flashdrive or SD card for copying your PHs pictures to take with you
- Camera/Binocular lens cleaning cloth
- Pocket knife
- Sunglasses & sun block SPF 30
- Small backpack for daily equipment while hunting (e.g. cameras, extra ammo)
- Rifle with Sufficient Ammunition
- Chap stick or lip balm
- International plug set - conversion to South Africa 220 V
- Insect repellant - Tick repellent preferably containing DEET
- Extra prescription glasses if required
- Spare batteries if required
- Rifle cleaning kit, regular wipe down set
- Prescription drugs if required.
- Baby/Wet wipes for ladies on safari
- Rifle soft case
- Taxidermy tags if you have your own Taxidermist (shipping Instructions)
- Any CITES permits you may require
Final Check List before leaving home:
- Air tickets
- Rifle Import Permit Application and relevant documentation
Military type camo is not permitted in most African countries, but Realtree types are normally accepted.
JXS Current Rates
Wondering what our current rates are? Click to download the JXS Rate Sheet
Want a Safari Quote?
It will only take a couple of minutes…
Download our SA 2016 Quote Calculator & Rate Sheet.
What People Are Saying
"We have hunted with John X Safaris and Zambeze Delta Safaris many times before and will be back.
Carl has a love for hunting and a guiding ability above most - As a result our experience hunting with him is way above the standard African experience. Accommodations are the best and trophies are very good. Thanks for a great experience! See you all next year!"
Three generations of hunters, who had their 1st safari and 1st kill with John X Safaris.~ Paul Adams Jr. '15 from
"I had a great experience.
Mike Currie is #1!!!"
"The safari was a fantastic experience, well enjoyed with the perfect PH."~ Benny Fredrickson '12 from USA
"We have had such a great time! The experience of a lifetime! Our guide Ed was fantastic, we loved him. He and Chris got along so well. Carl has taken very good care of both of us this trip. The food and lodging was so great. We were able to stay at Tree Tops and the staff there was wonderful to us.
Thanks for everything, we had a wonderful vacation!"
"Great Hunt. Great Time. Carl is very accommodating. The patience & diligence in selecting trophy animals speaks loudly of the quality hunt that John X & Staff are known for."~ Paul & Sandra Dellva '13 from