Packing List for South Africa
South Africa can be warm to hot during the months of March, April, September and October with temperatures ranging between 65f - 85f. The months of May through August are winter and the night temp's can drop to below zero, warming up to the mid 60's or 70's by midday.
The following list is only a general guideline of what to bring on Safari. There is a daily laundry service except for the days of arrival/departure and when camps are changed from south to north. Pack light ensuring you have the basic comfortable clothing/equipment and keep in mind you'll always need luggage space for African souvenirs you'll buy along the way.
- 1 Pair of good walking boots (Always worn-in)
- 1 Pair of comfortable camp shoes
- 4 Pairs of good socks
- 4 Sets of underwear
- 3 Pairs of long hunting pants (Dark Khaki or Olive Green)
- 2 Pairs of short hunting pants (Early hunts –March – April, September - October)
- 4 Hunting shirts (Dark Khaki or Olive Green)
- 1 Hunting Jacket - Realtree type camo (Dark Khaki or Olive Green)
- 1 Warm sweater or jumper
- Casual wear for the evenings
- 1 Pair of gloves
- 1 Raincoat/waterproof jacket
- Cap or Hat
- Shooting sticks if you prefer your own
- USB Flashdrive or SD card for copying your PHs pictures to take with you
- Camera/Binocular lens cleaning cloth
- Pocket knife
- Sunglasses & sun block SPF 30
- Small backpack for daily equipment while hunting (e.g. cameras, extra ammo)
- Rifle with Sufficient Ammunition
- Chap stick or lip balm
- International plug set - conversion to South Africa 220 V
- Insect repellant - Tick repellent preferably containing DEET
- Extra prescription glasses if required
- Spare batteries if required
- Rifle cleaning kit, regular wipe down set
- Prescription drugs if required.
- Baby/Wet wipes for ladies on safari
- Rifle soft case
- Taxidermy tags if you have your own Taxidermist (shipping Instructions)
- Any CITES permits you may require
Final Check List before leaving home:
- Air tickets
- Rifle Import Permit Application and relevant documentation
Military type camo is not permitted in most African countries, but Realtree types are normally accepted.
JXS Current Rates
Wondering what our current rates are? Click to download the JXS Rate Sheet
Want a Safari Quote?
It will only take a couple of minutes…
Download our SA 2016 Quote Calculator & Rate Sheet.
What People Are Saying
"I had an amazing time hunting my Kudu, Zebra and Ostrich with my friend, Carl."
Hunter (age 13 at the time)
Our John X Safaris experience was outstanding. The food was perfect and our accommodations were superb. Ed Wilson our PH went above and beyond our expectations to make sure our hunts were memorable. I would be honoured to recommend John X Safaris and our PH Ed Wilson to anyone considering a safari in South Africa. We cant wait to return!
Thanks again to everyone especially Carl, Ed and Stix.
"We had a wonderful time and staff was awesome! Our stay was amazing and made lots of special memories. We will certainly recommend this place to others! Everyone was always friendly and courteous and so willing to make our stay perfect. The food was amazing, we never went hungry. The game drives were exciting, seeing all the different animals & getting our photos!
Thank you again!"
"One of the best hunting experiences of our lives! Greg's expertise is greatly appreciated, his knowledge of both game, flora and fauna was truly exceptional. Greg made our first trip to Africa a true trip of a lifetime."~ Norm & Karen Amstrup '12 from USA
"What an adventure for my 12 year old son and myself. Our first safari was incredible. Many thanks to Carl, his staff, and our professional hunter, Stix. They worked patiently with my son and put him into perfect situations. We did not imagine that we would have such great success.
Thank you for the wonderful trophies and unforgettable experience."
"We have hunted with John X Safaris and Zambeze Delta Safaris many times before and will be back.
Carl has a love for hunting and a guiding ability above most - As a result our experience hunting with him is way above the standard African experience. Accommodations are the best and trophies are very good. Thanks for a great experience! See you all next year!"